5/13/14

WELCOME TO METALLIC BUTTERFLY, WHERE YOU ARE NOW FREE.





I had waited for this moment for so long!

And last night my ears could finally experience my bae's Destiny Frasqueri's full musical debut as her geeky, freaky, hacker-self, PRINCESS NOKIA. Going from African drums and weird jazzy melodies to electro-synths and hip-hop beats, this compilation is very different from her speedy rap spitting persona, Wavy Spice.

"Young Girls" is definitely my favorite song of this whole production. It's soft and Bjork-reminiscent beginning perfectly unravels and opens up the beat into beautiful lyrics about spirituality, feminine youth and love. 

"Dimensia" as an intro is perfect in it's robotic android welcoming message and reminds me a lot of TLC's intro song on their Fanmail record. "Hands Up" is real sexy. On "Cybiko" she gave me a little bit of that good old kunty vibe wrapped up in hacker-paranoia craze. "Dagons" is still and will always be that ecstatic gamer love song; making out against the arcade. "Biohazard Butterfly" has that old school melancholic hood air to it, a hazey-rainy day-perfect song! and I always have so much fun listening to "Nokia" where I picture raver girls belly-dancing in PVC pleated mini skirts with NOKIA phones strapped to 'em.

I still missed more of the rapping though! BUT I'm most certainly not disappointed. And if anyone is, they're missing the whole point of Metallic Butterfly, where love, fantasy and hope are #1. I'm sure she will please us and cover all of the other fields we love her for in her next production.

To listen to Metallic Butterfly fully click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

DEAR DEARS

HOLY OTHERS